Skip to main content

WSU Libraries

Digital Collections

About this collection

WSU College of Nursing Documents, 1939-2000

The items in this collection are housed in Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections in the Terrell Library.

View the guide to Archives 317: ICNE Director (Hilda Roberts) Papers, 1924-2001.

WSU's Nursing Programs:

Washington State University (then WSC) began offering a pre-nursing program in 1919, wherein students would take two years of college in Pullman before transferring to one of the state’s three hospital schools, resulting in a Bachelor of Science in Nurses’ Training.  In 1939 the Division of Nursing Education was established within WSC's College of Sciences and Arts; St. Luke’s Hospital served as the primary clinical facility. In 1954 the program became the WSC School of Nursing. In the 1940s, the curriculum had been changed to a four year Bachelor of Science in Nursing, but the discontinuance of that program was announced in 1956, returning the school again to prenursing only. As it was before that program, regional nursing students would receive their educations at hospital diploma programs.

 

On July 1, 1968, Washington State University, Eastern Washington State College (later University), Fort Wright College, and Whitworth College formed the Intercollegiate Center for Nursing Education (ICNE) in Spokane in order to again offer four year collegiate nursing education. Gonzaga had been invited to join, but declined the opportunity.  Hilda Roberts was appointed the first Director of the program.

 

In the 1970s, the program began offering courses through eastern Washington. In 1980, the ICNE moved into the Magnuson Nursing Building, and began offering a Master of Nursing program. In 1999, the ICNE formally became the Intercollegiate College of Nursing/Washington State University College of Nursing and later just the WSU College of Nursing. In 2009, the program moved to the WSU Spokane campus.

The Collection:

Original documents from and about the history of eastern Washington education in Nursing have been scanned here as OCRed (machine-readable, full-text searchable) pdfs.  A number of photographs from the programs are also included.  These images and papers originated with ICNE director Hilda Roberts and so focus on the history of nursing at WSU and the ICNE, but also include information on related programs.

Searching the Database:

Entering search terms in the box located at the top of the page will search across the full text and the descriptions of all documents. Search results are displayed as a browsable series of thumbnail images, 20 to a page. To view a larger image and its corresponding description, click on the thumbnail. Options to return to the Nursing College main page or to browse the entire collection are provided in the banner.

Creating the Database:

University Archivist Mark O'English managed the project, designed the metadata schemas, created descriptions, and designed this page. Individual items were scanned and described by Amanda Svehla and Kaitlyn Van Vleet. Doug Lambeth provided technical assistance for CONTENTdm.

 
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK