Individual Washington State University football programs dating from 1906 up through 1980 are compiled in this digital collection; they comprise 225 programs and 7758 pages of material. The programs document the evolution of Washington State University's football program and the sport in general over the years covered. Due to copyright laws, only programs for WSU-hosted games are included from 1923 forward, for away game programs after that date you'd have to contact the hosting school. In 1973 creation of WSU football programs was licensed to the Touchdown Illustrated corporation; it is unclear to us where copyright on those is held, but as Touchdown Illustrated did not reply to inquiries we've included those issues through 1980. These may be taken down at a later date should copyright concerns necessitate it. Physical versions of the issues held in this digital collection can be found at WSU’s Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections in the "Athletic Department: Football" portion of the WSU Publications collection (WSU 31-1). Additionally, the MASC has also created a digital football game films collection.
The WSU Football Program:
Selected landmarks in WSU's early football history:
Nov. 18, 1894: First intercollegiate football game; beat Idaho 10-0 at Moscow.
Nov. 9, 1895: First home game, at Soldier Field.
Nov. 13, 1900: Crimson and Gray become school colors.
1902: Soldier Field renamed Rogers Field.
Jan. 1, 1916: Defeated Brown 14-0 at Pasadena, CA. (Rose Bowl)
1917: Joined PCC (predecessor to the Pac-12) in its 2nd year.
Feb. 20, 1919: WSU Fight Song debuted.
Oct. 28, 1919: Cougars becomes team name. Two stuffed cougars rolled out as mascots on Nov. 1.
Nov. 11, 1927: Live cougar mascot donated to school; soon named Butch.
Jan. 1, 1931: Lost to Alabama 24-0 at Pasadena, CA. (Rose Bowl)
1936: New stadium built; retained Rogers Stadium name.
1943-1944: Football not played due to World War II.
1959: Washington State College becomes Washington State University.
1959-1961: No conference affiliation after scandals disbanded the PCC.
1970-1972: Home games played in Spokane after stadium burned.
Sept. 30, 1972: First game in rebuilt stadium, now Martin Stadium.
Searching the Database:
Entering search terms in the box located at the top of the page will search across the full text of all programs. To read through an individual program, select Browse This Collection and then click on the appropriate item. Search results are displayed as a series of thumbnail images that may be browsed. To view the larger image and its corresponding description, click on the thumbnail. An option to return to the home page for this collection is provided in the banner.
Creating the Database:
University Archivist Mark O'English supervised the project, designed the metadata schemas, and designed this page. Individual pages were scanned as 300 dpi pdf files on an Epson Expression 10000XL scanner, and done primarily by Mirra Moran, with a few done by Lane Moran, both of whom also created metadata for those they scanned. Alex Merrill provided technical support for CONTENTdm. Mark O'English designed this page's banner.