Skip to main content

WSU Libraries

Digital Collections

About this collection

The items in this collection are housed in Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections in the Terrell Library.

 

The Collection:

 

 
Pullman Primer, 1911

More than 1200 photographs and postcards of Pullman, Washington, and the surrounding area, selected from the collections of Ivan Shirrod, Paul Henning, Hack Applequist, and the Cities and Towns Collection (PC 2) are included in this database. Pullman was first settled in 1874 by Bowlin Farr, who, in 1881, initially platted the town using a severe grid pattern calling it Pullman. Farr soon abandoned his plan in favor of a plat created by Daniel McKenzie that better accommodated growth and the town's natural geography.

 

Pullman, sometimes informally referred to as "Three Forks," soon endured two disastrous fires in 1887 and 1890. After the 1890 fire, the town opted to rebuild the downtown in brick. As will be noted in the collection, Pullman also suffered through numerous floods, the most serious of which occurred in 1910.

 

In 1891, a state selection committee decided on Pullman as the location for the new land grant college. The Agricultural College, Experiment Station and School of Science of the State of Washington (later Washington State University) first opened on January 13, 1892, in a small temporary building named the Crib. The subsequent growth of the University is visible in the background of many of the images.

 

 

 
Pullman Washington, 1925

Searching the Collection:

Entering search terms in the box located at the top of the page will search across all of the database fields. Search results are displayed as a series of thumbnail images that may be browsed, both forward and backward. To view the larger image and its corresponding description, double click on the thumbnail. Any highlighted text in the description below each full-size image is searchable; just click. Options to return to the Pullman front page, the MASC front page, the Historical Photographs page and ordering images, are provided along the top banner, as is a choice to return to your search results.

 

Creating the Online Collection:

 

 
Pullman Souvenir, 1890

In partnership with the Neill Public Library, Mark O'English scanned and described over 650 images from the collection of Ivan Shirrod. Bob Luedeking and colleagues at the Whitman County Historical Society, researched and described another 30 images. Mark O'English selected and described an additional 350 images from the Paul Henning Collection. Trevor Bond oversaw the project and provided subject and genre terms. Michael Walpole scanned original photographic prints as 300 dpi TIFF files on a Microteck 9600XL scanner and then added 72 dpi JPEG files to the CONTENT database. Al Cornish provided technical support for CONTENT and aided Joseph Groh and Trevor Bond in the site's design.

 
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK